Friday, June 10, 2011

Although it’s not uncommon to be young and talented, it is pretty amazing to recognize that talent and know that it’s going to take you places. I got a chance to talk to the 15-year-old starlet Tiffany Evans about juggling her fast-paced lifestyle, school, family and friends, her new project, due out in November and about working hard and being comfortable in your own skin. Check out this exclusive interview with Tiffany Evans…

Brian: So, first, I just wanna say it’s really good to talk to you…
Tiffany Evans: Awww, same here!
Brian: You know, last time we spoke, we were at the movies, and you kinda ran off, and I was like, “But wait a minute!” ’cause I’d been trying to get a touch with J. Que and Candice about interviewing you for a while now.
Tiffany: Right!
Brian: I guess a couple weeks ago, or I guess it was a month ago, you were here, and J. Que called me and was like, “We’re about to go to lunch with Tiffany and her mom, you should come!” But I was–
Tiffany: Oh yeah! You didn’t come!
Brian: Yeah, I was at my aunt’s house for dinner, so

Tiffany: Ooh, man, you know what? It’s been a good year so far. Just… so busy! Ever since “Promise Ring” was released, I’ve been non-stop working. It’s a lot, and me being on the ScreamFest tour, it was absolutely amazing. Did you actually come out to one of the shows in Atlanta?
Brian: You know what, I was actually not in town when you guys were here in Atlanta.
Tiffany: Awwww…
Brian: Yeah, my cousin actually had tickets, but I didn’t get a chance to go. I really wish I could have.
Tiffany: I wish you would have been there. But it was absolutely crazy! Just every night was a crazy night. I actually came out in Ciara’s set and she introduced me, and we actually performed “Promise Ring.” And then I came out again on her second set. Where she formally introduces me to everybody, and talks a little bit about my life and what I do, and uhm, it was crazy… Hanging T.I. and everybody, and hanging out with T-Pain and [Yung] Joc and Lloyd, they’re like family to me now. It was real cool, we had a lot of fun. And now, after the last show, I actually made an appearance at 106 & Park, which was off the chain. I did a lot of stuff for BET that day. I did BET’s OnBlast, just a whole bunch of stuff has been comin’ up and I actually did recently did a show. Me and C had a concert in Pamona, and I did my 22 minute set. We were in California. And I actually just got back home at like, 6 this morning.
Brian: And you live in New York, right?
Tiffany: I live– you know, I’m from New York. I was born and raised in New York, but I live in Jersey now.
Brian: Alright, cool, cool. So you’re happy to be back on the East Coast?
Tiffany: I am, I am. But I’m still a little tired. All that flying and everything, and I was sick, I had the flu and everybody’s been getting sick! But I’m glad to be back with my family and chill with them, and just relaxin’, but it’s not the end of it. ‘Cause I’ve got a whole bunch of stuff to do!
Brian: So tell me what’s been going on with your project, y’know, who have you been working with, do you guys know when it’s coming out and stuff like that?
Tiffany: Yes! The album will be coming out… November 20th!
Brian: Okay, great!
Tiffany: Yes, I’m excited! It’s self-titled. It’s Tiffany Evans. We have production from Ne-Yo, he’s done two records for me, so I am like, ecstatic about that. He’s an absolutely an amazing artist, an amazing person, and uhm, just to work with him [inaudible], he’s so sweet. The Clutch — they’re kinda like a Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis with me. You know how Janet was with them? They’re like the main people on the album.
Brian: Right…
Tiffany: ‘Cause the almost did the whole album! Beau Dozier, and of course, you know Ciara’s on the album. Actually, Keri Hilson, she wrote a song. One of the song, called “About A Boy,” I think. And that’s on the album to. I mean, it’s just been really cool, everybody’s been excited! I’m excited about the album and I can’t wait ’til it comes out and I just– I can’t wait for the world to hear it. I really can’t wait. Y’know, I’mma let ya’ll be the judge of how the album sounds to ya’ll, y’know, it’s good stuff!

iffany: You know what? I haven’t been — I’ve been reading a lot of scripts. And, actually, uhm, I really wanna make acting a big part of my career. But right now, I wanna get very well established and get my music back, ’cause if I were to do a movie right now, y’know, it wouldn’t be right timing. But I would definitely love to include acting and you know, make acting a really big part of my career ’cause that’s my second love too.
Brian: Yeah, ’cause for a minute, I know you were acting, you were in the Tyler Perry, y’know, Diary of A Mad Black Woman, I was just wondering, how did you make the transition– what was the transition from being on the screen and going into the studio and recording your album, gearing up for that? What was that like for you?
Tiffany: You know what, it was amazing. And you know a lot of people, they think that from that movie, from me being in that movie, they thought that I was just an actress. Uhm, I’m a singer. I am a singer. I started out singing. I don’t know if you know much about my career, but I’ve been in the business for… a minute. (laughs) I’ve been in this business for 5 years, going into 6. So, ever since I was 10 on Star Search, that’s where I showed the world that singing is my first love, and after that, acting came about. After I was on Oprah, I heard that Tyler Perry was looking for me, so I went to audition for that, and I got it and it was amazing. And after all that, taking a break from everything ’cause I had to take the time off before the album, I just had to get myself prepared, ’cause I had to grow a little bit, y’know? ‘Cause I still, like, I’m young– but I was very young back then, so a lot of things weren’t working like I thought they would because of my age, and things that I couldn’t sing about, that I can sing about now. When you hear my album, basically, it’s very mature, but it’s not too grown, and it’s not [inaudible]…
Brian: And still age appropriate.
Tiffany: Yeah! It’s very age appropriate, and it’s me, taking it to another a level, ’cause you know, a lot of people haven’t seen this side of me. ‘Cause they know me from, “Awww, there’s Tiffany Evans, that little girl!” And I had to grow, ’cause I’m not a little girl anymore. I’m a young lady– I’m a young woman, so it’s weird for people to see me like that, but it’s a good thing. I definitely had to grow, I had to mature a little bit. My vocals matured a little bit, and I took all of that and put it on to this album, and hopefully it will show
Brian: And you know, that’s a great lead in to my next question. You mentioned that you’ve been in the industry for a really long time, to be so young, and to have been in the industry with acting and singing for the past 5 years, what’s it been like with your friends and with school and all that kind of stuff. How did you juggle your relationships with your friends who are back in New York and back in Jersey, and school and stuff like that? How do you pan that out?
Tiffany: You know, school, ever since Star Search, when I was 10, I was started home-schooling. And last year in June of ’06, I received a diploma.
Brian: Oh, great!
Tiffany: And it’s not really like me getting school over with, I got the highschool part over with. And lemme tell you, ya’ll, it was hard! (laughs) It was hard, so that’s why I felt like I needed to take that time off to do that, because education is very important and uhm, y’know, this business is not promised for anybody. So, no matter what happens tomorrow, at least you have that knowledge, because no man can take that from you, y’know? So I’m glad that I definitely got school together, and now I’m able to focus on my career! Now, the other side… with my friends… it was hard, ’cause I really didn’t get to see my friends that much. I am anti-social a bit right now, ’cause I can’t really see anybody! And I’m always on the run, just juggling that was kinda hard because they thought that I didn’t care anymore. And I really did. It’s hard, people– they would say a lot of things, but they don’t put themselves, they can’t put themselves in the position, because this doesn’t come by every day. It’s hard for them to imagine, y’know, me being busy, and not answering my phone, and it being hard to pick up. It’s kinda like– it’s hard, but now they understand, they have a better understanding.
Brian: Right. So you mentioned how your album is very age appropriate. And I definitely agree, with the two songs I’ve heard, “Promise Ring” and “Girl Gone Wild,” it sounds like on “Girl Gone Wild,” you definitely have a message that you wanna get out, to people your age– you’re 15, right?
Tiffany: Yes, I’m 15! Uhm– you know what? “Girl Gone Wild” is actually– I don’t think it’s gonna be on the album!
Brian: Awww…
Tiffany: I know, I know! I don’t think it’s gonna be on the album, we have to do some things to that first. Y’know, I’d rather not try to touch that right now. But I don’t think it’s gonna be on the album.
Brian: Even with that being said, it definitely sounds like you have a message that you wanna get out to young girls your age.
Tiffany: Most definitely, y’know, there’s a lot of young girls in the world who feel like they should be somebody else, in order to matter, y’know? And it’s not about that, y’know? You should be who you are, you should feel comfortable in your own skin, y’know? Not having to change for anybody in the world because at the end of the day, for me, at the end of the day, the only person you have to please is the Lord Jesus Christ, and that’s it. That is it with me, so, like, I want young girls to be comfortable with who they are. Be confident within yourself. Believe in yourself, ’cause if you don’t believe in yourself, then no one else will. And that is so true. And carry yourself, very ladylike. Be a lady. Be a lady at all times. It’s good to have fun. It’s great to have fun. Just be cool! ‘Cause you don’t have to be loud to be heard. That’s definitely a message that I want to send out. Just have young girls believe in yourself and be comfortable in your own skin.Brian: And you know, that’s a great lead in to my next question. You mentioned that you’ve been in the industry for a really long time, to be so young, and to have been in the industry with acting and singing for the past 5 years, what’s it been like with your friends and with school and all that kind of stuff. How did you juggle your relationships with your friends who are back in New York and back in Jersey, and school and stuff like that? How do you pan that out?
Tiffany: You know, school, ever since Star Search, when I was 10, I was started home-schooling. And last year in June of ’06, I received a diploma.
Brian: Oh, great!
Tiffany: And it’s not really like me getting school over with, I got the highschool part over with. And lemme tell you, ya’ll, it was hard! (laughs) It was hard, so that’s why I felt like I needed to take that time off to do that, because education is very important and uhm, y’know, this business is not promised for anybody. So, no matter what happens tomorrow, at least you have that knowledge, because no man can take that from you, y’know? So I’m glad that I definitely got school together, and now I’m able to focus on my career! Now, the other side… with my friends… it was hard, ’cause I really didn’t get to see my friends that much. I am anti-social a bit right now, ’cause I can’t really see anybody! And I’m always on the run, just juggling that was kinda hard because they thought that I didn’t care anymore. And I really did. It’s hard, people– they would say a lot of things, but they don’t put themselves, they can’t put themselves in the position, because this doesn’t come by every day. It’s hard for them to imagine, y’know, me being busy, and not answering my phone, and it being hard to pick up. It’s kinda like– it’s hard, but now they understand, they have a better understanding.
Brian: Right. So you mentioned how your album is very age appropriate. And I definitely agree, with the two songs I’ve heard, “Promise Ring” and “Girl Gone Wild,” it sounds like on “Girl Gone Wild,” you definitely have a message that you wanna get out, to people your age– you’re 15, right?
Tiffany: Yes, I’m 15! Uhm– you know what? “Girl Gone Wild” is actually– I don’t think it’s gonna be on the album!
Brian: Awww…
Tiffany: I know, I know! I don’t think it’s gonna be on the album, we have to do some things to that first. Y’know, I’d rather not try to touch that right now. But I don’t think it’s gonna be on the album.
Brian: Even with that being said, it definitely sounds like you have a message that you wanna get out to young girls your age.
Tiffany: Most definitely, y’know, there’s a lot of young girls in the world who feel like they should be somebody else, in order to matter, y’know? And it’s not about that, y’know? You should be who you are, you should feel comfortable in your own skin, y’know? Not having to change for anybody in the world because at the end of the day, for me, at the end of the day, the only person you have to please is the Lord Jesus Christ, and that’s it. That is it with me, so, like, I want young girls to be comfortable with who they are. Be confident within yourself. Believe in yourself, ’cause if you don’t believe in yourself, then no one else will. And that is so true. And carry yourself, very ladylike. Be a lady. Be a lady at all times. It’s good to have fun. It’s great to have fun. Just be cool! ‘Cause you don’t have to be loud to be heard. That’s definitely a message that I want to send out. Just have young girls believe in yourself and be comfortable in your own skin.
Brian: See, Tiffany, you sound like you have a real good head on your shoulders!
Tiffany: Aww, thank you, honey, thank you!
Brian: So, what’re you listening to right now? Is there anybody you’re listenin’ to on your iPod when you’re chillin’ out?
Tiffany: Uhm, you know what– I’m actually– well, I wanna get Kanye’s and 50′s albums. I wanna get that, but I’m listening to– I actually got Chris [Brown] on my iPod.
Brian: The new Chris?
Tiffany: Yeah, the new Chris!
Brian: You like it?
Tiffany: Yes! I love it!
Brian: Yeah, I like everything I’ve heard from it so far as well.
Tiffany: Yes, and I’m listening to “The Way I Are.” Loooove that song. That’s the jam for me. That wakes me up in the morning!
Brian: Yeah, it’s a great song.
Tiffany: It is a great song.

Brian: So, how much do you travel? You must travel a lot, especially being on the road and stuff. How often are you away from home?
Tiffany: Oooh, a lot. Like, I come back home, if I’m going for the week, I’ll come back home, and I’ll stay for like about, 2 or 3 days, and after that I’m gone again. And I have to leave again soon, like, I just got home today, and I have to leave again to go to rehearsals in Atlanta. To get my show together and everything. And then after that I’ll come back home, and then I’ll leave again. So, I’m not really at home that much anymore. So, it’s kinda hard for my family because they miss me a lot. They understand what I’m trying to do, but definitely when I try to get back home, I try to chill with them.
Brian: Do your parents ever go on the road with you?
Tiffany: My parents are– my father used to go on the road with me at first. My mother, she’s trying to, but I have other brothers and sisters that she’s trying to take care of, so basically, she has my sister out there with me. You know, family, to come out there with me and help me with what I do, but my parents– they don’t live together, they actually got divorced this year.
Brian: Oh okay, most definitely. Well it sounds like you’re doing big things. I’m so proud of you. I remember watching you in Tyler Perry’s movie and saying, “That little girl is singing her butt off.” And then I was so excited when I heard you were coming out with an album, and that you were working J. Que and Candice and Keri, and all those people. It’s really exciting and I’m really proud of you, Tiff.
Tiffany: Aww, thank you, honey and God bless you.
Brian: Okay, well, I know you probably have some other interviews you gotta get to, so–
Tiffany: Oh, I can chill with you on the phone all day!
Brian: (laughs) And I’m sure I’ll probably see you when you get to Atlanta to rehearse for your shows.
Tiffany: Most definitely, we gotta chill one day, go out to lunch!
Brian: Most definitely, most definitely!
Tiffany: Alright, honey, you be safe, okay?
Brian: Love you, Tiff! Bye!
Tiffany: Love you too, baby! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment